Sunday, 1 December 2013

Must Read Mentor Text - Slowly, Slowly, Slowly said the Sloth with an art idea!




I am very happy to be linking up with the amazing ladies at Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Text Linky. It has been a few weeks and I was starting to go through withdrawals.




This week we are sharing books for language arts. I am once again linking up a book that I am sure is not new to anyone but I thought I would just share how I used it this year (and because I need your help).

It is



 (Sorry if you were hoping for a Christmas book - we start those tomorrow!!)

I used this book as an introduction to adverbs. After we read the book we talked about what the job of the word slowly was in each sentence - to describe how the sloth was doing something. This led to the creation of our adverb anchor chart. This week's word study words were adverbs and we added a foldable to our writing notebook on adverbs.

On Thursday we used the book as a starting point for our art. Students drew a horizon line then used tissue paper ripped in pieces to create the sky and ground. Then they used modelling clay to create an animal (we are working on non-fiction animal reports too so it all worked out nicely). Then they wrote a few sentences describing their animal using an adverb just like the book. We were really rushed for time this week so the writing pieces was very simple but I really like how they turned out.






So this is the only book I have for teaching adverbs - I have loads for teaching adjectives but I am in serious need of some adverb rich books - any suggestions?

Check back here tomorrow for a fantastic giveaway you don't want to miss - everyone wins!!!!


6 comments:

  1. I love Eric Carle, Mostly because of how he makes his illustrations. I love that you do so much artwork in your class. I wish I would take more time for that. It's my own fault of course. :0(

    I love this idea for adverbs. I always say, simple is sometimes best. I feel like I may have books about adverbs. I'll check tomorrow at school. :0)

    Thanks for linking up my dear friend.
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you tied so many skills together! Your bulletin board looks great! Funny you should need an adverb book-I just ordered Suddenly Alligator! All of the adverbs are highlighted in the text-cute story!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how cute these are! Thanks for sharing!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this book, but it sounds great. I love Eric Carle and I think sloths are hilarious. The book sounds perfect for adverbs and I really love how you integrated art into the lesson!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I LOVE this idea! I will do this lesson with my students! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete