Thursday, 5 December 2013

Winter Math - Workshop Wednesday




I am taking a quick minute to link up with Jivey for Workshop Wednesday (yes, even though it is Thursday).


This week's theme is holiday/winter themed math activities and I have two to share.
This is the one we did today (and why I am late to the party). We made Geometrees!!

We have been working on describing and sorting 2D shapes in math class with a focus on really knowing our polygons - what is the difference between a parallelogram and a rhombus, can a parallelogram be a trapezoid, what is a kite etc. Although students can readily identify polygons and name them they often struggle to define them accurately and thoroughly. Today we had some fun before getting to the hard part. We made Geometrees.

First we created an anchor chart showing what I was expecting and I made a quick sample with my students.


Then they got to work - it was a little messy at times. Notice the abundance of scrapbook paper - I may be addicted to it - and I don't even scrapbook!!




After they completed their tree they had to name and describe 3 of the polygons they used to create their tree. Here are some samples.








Woohoo - look how much she wrote. What I love about holiday math is the students don't realize it is real work and you can focus on teaching them other skills. For instance today I really focused on making sure my students were using the anchor chart, sample and geometry posters we have displayed.



 I am still surprised on how much teaching I do around using the resources in the classroom. I had to point out the resources many times and one of my students handed his in and then said "Oh man I forgot to use the posters!"  Also this student had a misconception about vertices that we were able to clear up - that they are not just corners but the place where two lines meet.






Click here to get the worksheet.


I also wanted to share my Hot Chocolate Math again as there maybe some of you who missed it. It a fun little problem solving package working on making all possible combinations.




Click here to pick up a free copy.


Lastly, if you have not entered the Everyone Wins Giveaway you really should, there are so many prizes and EVERYBODY wins! Head here to get started.




7 comments:

  1. Those Geome"trees" look so great! Writing, math and art all in one. I love the whole activity. I think I need to find a way to squeeze that in with my kiddos before break! Thanks for sharing such a fun idea.
    Kayla
    Rooting for Third Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Geome"trees"! This is a cute idea and would make a great front to a Christmas card too!. I'm wondering if there is a way for me to do this with fractions bars... hmmm you've got my brain turning at 6am! Have a great day!
    Michele

    Coffee Cups and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. The geome"trees" are absolutely adorable!! And I am so glad you shared the hot chocolate because I forgot to, and we are using it this week!! Thanks for linking up, friend! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trees are so stinking cute!! I love the glitter paper! I might just make one for my house! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the trees! How adorable! I am totally using that next week. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, loving the Geome "trees". Precious! I've got your Hot Chocolate Math ready to go when I get back from Christmas Break! You are the best!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh SNAP, how did I miss this post???? Those trees are ADORABLE! I love them so much!! How happy they make your room...and I have tooooons of scrapbook paper, although I do have a scrapbook...the one that I started for my daughter and got through her first Christmas (she was born in July...and now she's 9...so...yeah...mom of the year right here!)! So fun!!!!

    The hot chocolate math is super cute!! So much fun in this post!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete